Re: Frame Plugs

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@pacbell.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Frame Plugs
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:50:16 -0700
Bob:

Got under the car - the chassis is completely original except for the outer
sills under the doors, which had to be replaced, so there is no question
that they were there from the factory.

There are a total of 6 of these holes - all are 3/8" - 2 to the outside of
the seam in the front main frame rails, 2 similarly located in the rear of
the main frame rails, (on the BJ8 they are at the very rear of the dropped
section of the rails), and 2 in the 'X' shaped centre frame section, both on
the right side, one in the forward arm and one in the rearward arm.

While underneath, I took a good look - most closed frame sections seem to
have ventilation holes that are smaller and won't be used for any fasteners.
For example, one hole (1/4", I think) on the bottom of each frame outrigger
at the extreme inboard end.  There are a lot more holes like this in the
frame than I ever thought about!

I'm wondering if the 3/8" holes were used to locate the frame bits on an
assembly jig for alignment purposes when the cars were being constructed -
only thing I can think of.  Meanwhile, they serve quite well for
rustproofing when we restore these beasts!

My BT7 tri-carb also has these holes in the same positions.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8