Re: Horn goes on by itself

To: "Franck Vigneron" <vigneronf@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horn goes on by itself
From: "Keith Pennell" <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:00:22 -0400
> Dear All Members!
>
> I have mounted one of Michael Lempert custom steering
> wheel and it looks superb!
> BUT I put back my trafficator (horn & indicator) and
> after 2 days I am giving up.
>

> 1. My indicators do not flash. I suspect because the
> car had been sitting for 34 years that the "flasher
> Unit" is not functioning.
> * Does this sound correct to you?

Sounds like a incorrect wiring to me.  Would check that first.

> 2. My horn goes on when I plug the corresponding wire
> from my trafficator to the wire on the car.
> I suspected the horn button was stock pushed in. I
> removed the whole horn button but horn is still on.

Again, incorrect wiring.  Obviously the constantly hot ground wire coming
from the horns is grounding.  Try disconnecting the green/black wire at its
bullet in front of the steering box.  Ground that wire from the horns.
Horns should blow.  Reconnect.  If it blows there may be a grounding inside
the stator tube or the traf.

> I rebuilded and tested the trafficator unit with a
> friend who works for NASA on satellite and it worked
> perfectly. But once on the colomn the result is
> different.
> * Can you guess the problem?
>
> 3. One of my horn is dead do you know where to get
> one?
>
> Regards,
> Franck
> 1960 BT7