Re: Are all bix six clutch masters the same?

To: Dean Caccavo <healeybn7@yahoo.com>, Healeys <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Are all bix six clutch masters the same?
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:14:07 -0800
Dean,

I think Smitty's setup works fine out of the box for the BJ8, but those of
us with the older clutches have to make adjustments. Now that I've got mine
squared away, I'm a promoter of the setup.

Plan A--
If you still have everything apart, you might want to put a BJ8 pressure
plate on your flywheel--this might solve all the problems and give you a
better, lighter clutch at the same time.

Plan B--what I did to solve these issues (didn't know about Plan A at the
time):

It's possible the lever is travelling all the way back and hitting the back
of the hole before the clutch is fully disengaged. As I recall, mine was
like this.

I started by shimming up the stud post with a couple of thick washers--that
brings the lever farther forward toward the slave cyl.

Then I made an adjustable temporary pushrod out of a scrap piece of 1/8" ID
steel tubing and a long machine screw with the head cut off, and a couple of
jam nuts to vary the length and hold it there.

I put it on and changed the adjustment until it felt right. I wanted the TO
bearing just off the clutch but not quite touching. You can feel this by
hand.

Once I figured out the length, I made a new fixed-length pushrod out of a
piece of 20d nail cut to the same length.

I also made a sheet metal retainer to go over the hole and hold the Toyota
rubber boot in place, as the boot wouldn't stay snapped in the hole after
these changes.

HTH
--
Steve Gerow