Re: steering problems

To: James Shope <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Subject: Re: steering problems
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:50:40 -0600
Hi James,
As John Miller said,
 > To ensure that everything is "square," it's also necessary to measure
 >  the diagonals.  You could be driving a parallelogram and still have
 > the same distances front to rear.

  ---This would normally result in the car going down the road at a
slight angle (dog tracking) but would not likely cause constant pull to one
side. Just the front wheels being in a slightly different track than the
rears. Although combined with a tight on center gear might cause the
problem.

James Shope wrote:
 > the steering gear does have a little bind at exactly center travel
 > like it says in the manual.  what am i missing? healeymanjim

In spite of what the "manual" may say, I have found that a little "on
center bind" will cause all sorts of strange steering & even pulling. The
"on center" bind spot rarely coinsides exactly with the cars straight
ahead driving position. The result is to constantly have to make small
steering corrections while going straight down the road. The bind won't
let the caster self center the wheels. Healeys have very little caster
(self centering) to start with.

Dave Russell
Bn2