Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)

To: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)
From: Russ Staub <bbb11489@azboss.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:42:25 -0700
Have been having problems with my e-mail program.  It was sending out my
e-mail with a "From" address with quote marks around my user ID.
Consequently, I never received any replys, including replies from the
list, because my e-mail address was wrong (quote marks around my user ID).

I'm going to try this one more time, and hope you don't get mad if
you've seen this once, and maybe twice before.

Hi all,

I began attacking the problem of a leaky water pump the other day on our
BJ8.  Took out the hoses, radiator, and finally the pump.  While in
there, I decided its been a while since I changed the oil filter, so out
it came.  You know, that starter has been a bit sluggish, and even
though I probably should have just checked the grounding, out it came!
(I had to loosen and move the power brake booster a bit to make room for
removing the starter).

Finally, to the point of my query.  After all the removal surgery to
this point, I remembered my oil pressure has been a bit lower than I'd
like, and I've always wondered about that pressure relief valve under
the filter canister.  Well, out it came too.  My question:  Do any of
you know if there is a specified length for the spring?  Mine is 2.63"
long, fully extended (unloaded).  I'm pretty sure it's original, and I
vaguely remember some comments on the list regarding the possibility of
losing some of their full length  or strength over time.

While I've got your attention, it occurs to me that I've never had one
of those radiator shrouds for reducing heat swirling to the front of the
radiator.  The catalog illustration shows only two attachment bolts, at
the bottom edge of the shroud.  Where do these bolts attach to the car?

It's winter here in Phoenix, well that's what I call it when it's 116F
outside and I choose not to be out driving in my traveling heater box.
So this is when I choose to take on a few of those nagging problems I've
been putting off in the real winter (driving season) here in Phoenix.
It's hot out there with no cooling in the garage, but it keeps me in
touch with Horace.  He really does seem to like the attention!

Regards and TIA,

Russ Staub

'50 Austin Atlantic A90
'56 BN2