Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)

To: "Dave & M" <rusd@velocitus.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:37:32 -0700
OK, I'm cornfused.  The pressure relief valve is meant to limit maximum
oil pressure, why would it raise idle pressure (assuming the plunger was
clean, true, no nicks, burrs, etc.)?

That is, the relief valve should be closed withing a few psi of the max.
allowed pressure (granting a few psi "wiggle room").  It should be fully
closed and seated well above the pressure put out by the pump at idle,
so pressure at idle will be determined by pump, bearings, bushings, etc.
Or am I missing something?

bs