Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:56:01 -0600
Hi Bob,

The key here is "(assuming the plunger was clean, true, no nicks, burrs,
etc.)?" It appears that in reality, many valves are not fully seated.
Maybe due to non concentric wear of the seat, hydraulic erosion,
contamination, or what ever, even small leaks will greatly reduce idle
pressure. Correcting the seating  & or increasing spring pressure can
make a big difference in seating & on idle pressure. At higher pump
speeds/outputs, the small seating leaks will have proportionately less
effect. Oil flow requirements do not increase nearly as much with rpm
increase as does pump output.

The seating "could be" improved by lapping the two mating parts, but I
wouldn't suggest it unless it is complete rebuild where the lapping
compound could be completely removed. This is something that I always check.

In the case under discussion, the spring apparently is noticeably
shorter & probably less tension than the original. As stated, shimming
is likely to be as good or better fix than just replacing the spring
with an unknown one.

Dave Russell