Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Spring (One More Time!)
From: Russ Staub <bbb11489@azboss.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:00:00 -0700
Peter,

Thanks for the info.  I must be a touch of dyslexia-  My original spring
is 13 coils (as specified), but its length is 2.36" not 2.63" as I
originally stated.  At about 12% shorter than the original spec., I
suppose it could have a measurable effect on the relief pressure it
provides.  In addition, I found two of the spring coils (about three
coils in from each end) to have a distinct, bright, flat surface worn on
their OD, and the plunger wear pattern at the sealing surface was
non-uniform, disappearing completely for about 30 degrees of the
circumference.  This suggests some possible hang-ups of the spring
and/or cocking of the plunger.

All of this may be meaningless (or relatively insignificant) regarding
my oil pressure, but being a relatively, simple thing to change (while
the filter canister is out anyways), thought I'd just go for it and see
if anything gets better.  The missing metal and felt washers at the top
side of the filter plate in my canister (soon to be replaced) I guess
could add a little to the pressure too when I change the filter.

BTW, my oil pressure is typically ~40psi max when hot at driving rpms,
more like ~10 at idle (hot).  I always use 20-50W oil.

Regards,

Russ Staub