Re: Speedo Woes '65 BJ8

To: Doug Newton <dnewton@nappco.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo Woes '65 BJ8
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:24:44 +0800
Doug -

You don't need to pull the tunnel to check the cable and angle drive.
Simply unscrew the cable from the back of the guage and then drive the
car around while looking at the end of the cable to see if it is
rotating with the speed of the car.  If it is, there's nothing wrong
with the cable and angle drive.  My guess is it is working properly.
Be careful, it's a greasy thing!

If the needle is working sporatically and it is reading too fast, the
only thing that would cause that is a bad speedo.  The speedo is a
very sensitive & somewhat complicated instrument and it won't take
much to have it give you the symptoms you describe.  I would recommend
having it rebuilt.  Try Margaret Lucas at Mo Ma in New Mexico.  Her
prices are fair and she knows what she's doing with Smiths guages.

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8