Re: Re: Speedo Woes '65 BJ8

To: "pennell@cox.net" <pennell@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Speedo Woes '65 BJ8
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:14:46 +0800
Doug -

If a speedo is reading high it usually means the guage itself is not
working properly, was rebuilt incorrectly, or is out of adjustment.

Another potential is for the speedo cable to be stretched/worn/too
long, and thus it will put pressure on the back of the guage where it
connects with the cable.  If this happens, the cable can put some
stress on the speedo instrument itself, causing the little magnetized
wheel to bind with the needle magnet causing a high or jumpy reading.

The only other possible explanation would be that the angle drive has
the wrong gear ratios in it... but then the speedo would read too fast
all of the time if this was the case.  Since the angle drive is shared
with some other types of british cars, this is a good possibility.

However, if you have a speedo that is only sporatically, and when it
is working it is reading too fast, my instinct says it is almost
99.99% a speedo that needs to be rebuilt.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8