Re: Two wheel towing

To: Awgertoo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Two wheel towing
From: jerry adams <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:41:23 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,

I have read horror stories of people having cars towed for some other reason
than transmission trouble and then after having the car repaired begin to have
transmission trouble weeks or months later.  The cause being that the pressure
built up by the oil pump knocked out the seals while being towed.  The rule of
thumb that I read about being that if the car was being towed more than 5-10
m9iles the drive shaft should be removed.
That said I towed my BN2 from Arlington, TX to Columbus, OH to Arlington, TX to
San Angelo, TX to Mcpherson, KS to Atchision, KS to Pittsburg, KS and each time
I removed the drive shaft because of the possible oil pump action of the
overdrive unit and the pressure build up and possible damage. I didn't think
about the main shaft not getting the proper lube.
Jerry
BN2

Awgertoo@aol.com wrote:

I've heard some folks say it is not good to tow a rear-wheel drive car while
the rear wheels are on the ground unless the drive shaft is disconnected, the
reason given being that the transmission's bearings are splash-fed by the
gears' spinning and that the mainshaft will thus not be lubricated during
towing.
Does anyone have any information on this?

Best--Michael Oritt