Re: heater fan sucks

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heater fan sucks
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:28:54 -0400
I'll stick to my first reply regarding this fan thing. The power lead and
the ground leads will have to be reversed if the car has been changed to
negative earth.
On the 6 cylinder cars the motor drives a "squirrel cage" drum fan. The
blades of the fan are cupped to scoop air and drive it out centrifugally
with a pretty good flow. If the motor leads are reversed, the fan drum will
turn backwards, still moving some air to be sure, but appreciating that the
vanes are trying to move the air from the convex side of the blades, not
much air is being moved.
Going further to this thread, I don't know how the hoses can be reversed.
The air is being drawn in by the fan by way of the 4" air duct from the
front of the car. The fan pushes the air centrifugally out the 3 1/4"
diameter air duct into the heater box, as long as the air flow butterfly on
the side of the heater box is open. That butterfly is operated by the
push/pull knob on the right side of the heater control plate.
The ducts and blower assembly will only (and then just barely) fit one way.
I can't imagine the ducts being reversed.
Lastly, the fan motor is 12 volt. More juice to the motor??? I don't think
so. Maybe a replacement motor with higher RPM rating would satisfy the
"problem".
Rich Chrysler