Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>, "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "Dallas Congleton" <dcong996@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:06:10 -0500
In my observations, the difference between amateur and "professional"
restorations many times is the difference in body panel fit, and in the
skill level of painting and upholstery, assuming the professional had more
experience or farmed it out to an experienced painter and upholsterer.  This
is not to say some amateurs don't get good results. On the other hand in
judging for detail points the amateurs generally excel as the amateur will
invest much more time and interest in the research of his particular model.
Many pro shops focus on the bigger picture. This is generally evident in the
erroneous details of some of the cars at the recent BJ auction. In fact one
of the currently popular pros chose to ignore and change major items of
"correctness" and added a little "bling" sell it.

Dallas Congleton
1967 BJ8
1953 MGTD