Re: Fuses

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuses
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:36:43 -0500
Mark Endicott wrote:

>One that you need for sure is in the license plate lamp circuit.  A small
>fender bender can smoke your car, don't ask.  I put one where the wire
>enters the body and tucked it behind the armacord.  Headlights are not a
>good idea, don't want them to go out on the road.  Coil is generally not
>fused either, fuel pump is ok, the OD can draw 20 + amps when it engages,
>wipers and heater would be ok, I never found that they were worth turning on
>though.

It's worth thinking about putting the wipers on their own fuse, or at
least along with something unlikely to blow the fuse in normal
operation.  I used to curse whoever designed the fusing scheme on the
Jaguar XK-120.  The wipers and horn were on the same fuse, and the horn
was pretty much "out in the elements" under the front of the car.  If
you honked the horn when things were good and wet, you guessed it, the
fuse would blow and the wipers would quit -- just when you needed them
the most.
--
John Miller