Re: How big a deal in Concours?

To: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>,
Subject: Re: How big a deal in Concours?
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:25:19 -0500
Richard,

The top for your relatively early BJ7 featured some unique features and
parts that indeed were soon superceded by later "improvements". Also as you
observed this portion of the judging sheets allot 12 points for the
originality of this area, and a further 8 points for the condition.

I would suggest that if the top and it's bows and latches, etc. were made of
the correct materials, colours, and finishes and the fit was good in every
other measureable way, then the judges would have to treat a later fitted
design top with the zip out rear window in place of the original metal
latches and hardware, and the later addition of the side gutters with a
partial loss of points. I cannot state exactly what the point loss would be,
not seeing everything to do a personal evaluation, but it would be a
reasonable proportion of the total points allowed, possibly up to 4 or 5
points.

However, in the grand scheme of things and the great pains you have taken to
get the rest of the details on this car so right, those 4 or 5 points could
be among the "easier" points you might be able to acquire. This extra effort
is what Gold is all about.

Therefore I would personally urge you to go the extra effort and do it
right. The car will stand apart because of it, and for what it's worth, the
rear window with the original design did not leak, it was simply not quite
as convenient to open and close, and unlike the later zipper arrangement,
could not be opened "just a little" when desired.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Sorry I took this long to respond, I was not "chicken", just away all
day!<grin>
Rich Chrysler