Re: BN2 Wheel Cylinders

To: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: Re: BN2 Wheel Cylinders
From: Magnus Karlsson <magnuskarlsson@bornet.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:04:07 +0100
This is a problem that I have tried many times to focus some
attention to. I cant say that I have been very successful tough.

If one buys brake pads/shoes from the usual suppliers and using
standard wheelcyl/calipers you will find that the brake balance will
be incorrect between front and rear. The rear brakes will lock first,
which not only makes it harder to maintain control but can prove to
be lethal. In a panic situation it is very dangerous if the rear
brakes lock before the front, you can loose control of the car
completely. This condition is almost unnoticable during normal
braking conditions, which is why I suppose not many people pay any
attention.

It applies to both cars with discs in front and drums in front. On a
BN2 its quite easy to remedy if you change the front cyliders to the
larger bore and the rear to the smaller bore.

Was this condition there as well when the cars were new? Hard to tell
but one thing is for certain and that is that pad and lining
materials have been changed since, now we are using non asbestos.
Getting the right balance between front and rear is not an easy
equation. Its not only down to the size of the brake cylinders but a
lot of other parameters have to be taken into account, like friction
coefficient of pad/lining material, swept area of the brakes, weight
balance of the car etc. etc.

However I am quite sure that many of us are driving cars that will
prove to be very dangerous in a panic situation and unfortunately are
unaware of this.

Magnus Karlsson
Sweden