Re: BN2 Wheel Cylinders

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BN2 Wheel Cylinders
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:40:29 -0800
Except for Magnus's, the responses discussing wheel lockup do not say if
they are talking about normal driving situations, heavy braking situations,
or panic stops.  I am going to assume they are NOT talking about normal
driving conditions.

New cars come with ABS.  ABS is supposed to prevent brakes from locking up.
ABS was developed to allow the the wheels to keep turning so that one could
possibly steer out of the way even in a panic application of brakes.  Now I
hear that if only the rear brakes lock, you loose control of the car
completely.  I can see where this might prevent the rear wheels from
tracking behind the front wheels.  However, I believe that if you lock the
front brakes, you are also along for the ride without any possibility of
controlling the direction that the car is taking.  This would include the
ability to rotate the car and hit an obstruction with the side or rear of
the car rather than have the engine and steering wheel pushed into your lap
and/or chest.  I realize that panic situations are measured in seconds or
milliseconds but with just enough time to react, I think I would do
everything possible to avoid a front end collision including keeping my
foot OFF the brake pedal altogether.  I understand that in a panic
situation, all prior mental training can go out the window and we will most
likely stand on the brakes in an attempt to stop before the impact.  I
would still like to have the option.

The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031