Re: [Healeys] Engine problem

To: j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine problem
From: chucknsueo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:05:22 -0400
Jack,

?

The "dieseling" you describe?is very common.?The cylinder interior is so hot it
burns the gas without the spark plug firing just from the compression.? If it
gets too bad it can actually break the crankshaft, so you are right to be
concerned.?I can usually prevent it by stepping on the clutch and holding it
when you turn off the key.? My BT7 does that all the time when I put regular
gasoline (petrol to you of course!)?in it.? Putting in premium (higher octane
rating) petrol usually takes care of the problem.? There are also adjustments
you can?make but they may or may not solve the problem.? I believe you would
retard the timing and/or enrich the mixture.? If the engine is running hot
because the timing is too advanced or the carbs are too lean that can cause
it.? Premium gas can handle these but regular gas can't, which is why the
increase in octane works.? Aviation gas is a good?high octane boost in the US.?
There are also commercial octane boosters to add to your gas tank.? Good luck!

?

Chuck Ott
Middletown, DE USA
62BT7, 67BJ8, 69AN9