Re: [Healeys] Engine problem

To: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>, "Healey forum"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine problem
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:17:31 -0400
Jack, et al,

It doesn't matter what ignition system is in there, with today's poor grades
of fuel compared to 40 years ago, the tendency to run on is far greater.
Slight enriching of the carb mixture will help, slight retarding of the
timing may help, but the best thing you can do is get your RPM down as slow
as possible before shutting off. Depressing the clutch will help slightly.
While the clutch is depressed, get into the habit of slipping the gearbox
into 2nd and as you shut off, just as the engine stops, release the clutch.
If you time it just right, it will stop clean without any nasty lurch or
grab or dieseling.

Rich Chrysler