Re: [Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany

To: <racarbon@optonline.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:32:23 -0400
Guys,

When I first subscribed to this list about 4 yrs ago a question came up
regarding carb mixture adjustment and I blurted out that you should lift the
pin of the opposite carb that you wish to check.  I had a P1800S for many
years while in college and afterwards and I thought the carb manuals all
stated this fact.  Well the list was deafeningly silent as though I were being
ignored so I did not pursue the issue being a newbie and all.  To top that I
have been lifting the pin of the same carb I want to check on my bj8 that I
restored.  I thought that I was wrong all those years, however my Volvo carbs
were in great adjustment all the time and my bj8 just doesn't seem as easy to
adjust.  Anyway I just found a Volvo service manual on line that I can forward
to anyone.  It states that you lift the pin of the opposite carb that you want
to check the adjustment on--just as I had originally thought.  At least I know
I'm not going crazy.  I wonder if there is a difference in the intake manifold
or something that is the reason for this or have we been doing it wrong all
these years?

George Haywood
'65 bj8

> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:50:21 -0400
> From: racarbon@optonline.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany
>
> Over the past 40 years I have adjusted my share of SU carbs but recently I
find that I may have been doing it wrong. I have always been under the
impression that the pin on each HD8 was used to adjust that carburetor's
mixture, however, recently I've read and followed the instructions of 2
articles that indicate the pin is used to adjust the other carb (i.e. back
carb pin to adjust the front carb and visa versa).

> A number of club members and sports car associates seems to indicate that
they were also surprised by the new approach and under my original
understanding. I can't believe I've been wrong all this time. However, the new
(to me) way seems very logical. I would like to hear which is considered
correct by the list.