Re: [Healeys] Texas Kooler

To: Awgertoo@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Texas Kooler
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 8:45:19 -0500
Wish I knew who made it, but about 10 years ago I bought a 6 bladed all metal
fan from a show vendor.  It transformed the temp problem to one where over temp
is never a problem---and--no problems with bending, separating or noise.

Anyone have any idea who makes all-metal 6 bladed ones?

tom

---- Awgertoo@aol.com wrote:

=============
I put a Texas Kooler on my 100 and immediately noticed  some improved
cooling benefits and was quite pleased.  However over the  course of some
time--perhaps a year--things went back to the way they  were.

I was doing some work on the car and when I removed the cooling  fan and
placed it on a flat surface, front face down on a a flat  surface I saw that
the tips had definitely pulled ahead and taken a set so that  the hub was off
the surface by perhaps 1/4".When I reinstalled the fan and  watched its
action at revs I could see that the tips were pulling even further  forward
almost into the radiator.  Obviously the fan had lost its set,  was "unflexing"
and was biting the air less efficiently, lowering its  ability to cool.

I subsequently replaced the Texas Cooler fan with the The Nock Flex  Fan..
As predicted it did require a bit of grinding to clear the hub  nose
properly and yes it is ugly and boy is it loud, but man it does a great  job.
have had a hard time keeping paint on mine, esp. out toward the  tips, but it
works extremely well.

I also have a Hayden electric fan on a manual switch without  thermostat
that mounts to the front side of the radiator.  (You need to  remove the
vertical divider panel in order to get it to fit.  Find the  largest one you
can,
mount it in front and directly to the front surface of the  radiator, and
when temperature begins to climb in raffic, flip it on to  decrease the rate
of rise.  Also wire it up so that you can run it with the  ignition off--so
that if you turn the car off while stuck in traffic you can  still run the
fan.

And lastly I bought a modified radiator.  The stock unit that had  four
rows of approximately 30 1/2" tubes and a custom rad shop built me a
replacement having five rows of 28 5/8" tubes, with a net gain of around  20%
cooling
area surface.

I am careful not to advance the timing by more than 35 degrees as
otherwise the car will overheat across the range, even at speed.   I  use no
more
than 25% coolant plus I have a coolant recovery system  intalled.  I have some
plans to reshroud the front rad to force more air  through the system but
since all of the above seem to work for me I have as yet  to fabricate the
shroud.

So that's my story and perhaps explains why we have so many differences of
opinion on the list on such a basic (???) topic.

Best--Michael Oritt

You are subscribed as tomfelts@windstream.net