Re: [Healeys] Texas Kooler

To: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Texas Kooler
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:00:34 +0200
Derek,
Basicly you are correct, if you drive the way they did in the 50-60's.
Many classics have marginal cooling systems that work well in normal
conditions but change to modern busy town driving and it is a completely
different story, even on a not so hot day. Here you do need extra
cooling preferably using a properly installed thermostaticly controlled
electric fan.
If you are living in a hot area and bought a car that was first
delivered in a cooler climate, there is a chance that you have the wrong
fan, radiator, thermostat or perhaps waterpump fitted.
Also most engines are 40-55 years old and are bound to have some
corrosion/scale build op in the block's/ head's internal coolant ways
which often cannot be removed completely but hampers heat transfer,
especially in the USA and UK where plain tap water was the norm for
filling up the radiator.
A scaled up/blocked radiator is no excuse however, renew the core,
standard or with a larger capacity.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL