[Healeys] Do Moss ign points suck or what?

Subject: [Healeys] Do Moss ign points suck or what?
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:00:34 +0200
Joseph,
I have noticed for a long time that failing electronic ignition of the
Pertronics or Lumenition Magtronic type is usually due to a wrong
impedance of the coil. In most cases this should be around 3 Ohms, while
often about 1,5 Ohm is used causing a burned out ignition. Especially
when a ballast resistor (not in big Healeys I believe) is used as many
connect up the electronic ignition directly on the coil, bypassing the
ballast resistor.
If you are afraid for a failure of the electronic ignition, carry a
spare set of points and condenser  as you would do if you have points
fitted. It would nearly take the same amount of effort to fit these when
needed, plus some time for setting the timing.
The beauty of electronic ignition is that you do not have to maintain it
once set apart from the occasional drop of oil on the balance weights
pivots and the distributor shaft (as with points). The timing will stay
correct at all times during the life of the distributor, not so with points.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]