Re: [Healeys] BJ8 radiator cap issue

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 radiator cap issue
From: Per Schoerner <healeyguy@bredband.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 22:12:33 +0200
Ed, and all
Yes, well, it's a new engine in that sense that it has new bearings, new
rings and a "new" oil gallary. Previous owner restored the engine some
20 years ago, but never used it. When I started using it I got oil in
the cooling water, and I have finally rectified that, I hope.
With this sleeve that I made I want to "emulate" what happens when the
engine warms up. When the temperature rises so does the thermostat and
with it the sleeve which will eventually block off the bypass hole. This
is to direct all coolant to the radiator when the engine is warm. The
bypass hole is there to make the coolant circulate inside the engine
while it is cold.
Without the sleeve some coolant will just circulate inside the engine
and never pass the radiator.
With my sleeve the bypass hole is blocked off permanently. The only
thing that might be a problem is when the engine is cold, it might be
that the circulation is not strong enough, causing hot spots inside the
engine. I reckon that a hole or two in the thermostat will keep the
circulation good enough until the temparature is high enough to open the
thermostat. And, yes, I can remove it easily if it doesn't work.

Per