Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

To: steveg@abrazosdata.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:52:56 -0500

------=_Part_20709_384269328.1422316376267

Steve,
Correct, the O-ring does the actual sealing.=20
The shop manual states: "the bearing spacer must protrude between 0.001" an=
d 0.004" beyond the face of the hub & paper gasket. This is to make sure th=
e bearing is firmly gripped between the abutment shoulder in the hub and pa=
per washer."=20
That means that the gasket thickness depends upon the spacer thickness, whi=
ch is why the gasket would be considered a shim. For example: If the shim p=
rotrudes by 0.010" without the gasket you will need a gasket that is betwee=
n .006" and .009" thick. I do not believe we are really compressing the gas=
ket. The axle is held in place by the two small Phillips head screws.  We m=
ay be bending the axle flange very slightly to take up the .001"-.004" gap =
when we tighten the lug nuts that hold the splined hub extension onto the h=
ub.
Gary=20
=20
=20