Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
From: J Armour <sebring3000@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:50:29 +1100
The bearing must be located and restrained laterally by metal to metal
contact on its inner side where the O-ring will compress and have no
influence on location and on the outside where the metal shim will
guarantee metal to metal contact. If done correctly there will still be a
very small clearance between the outer axle face and its matching mating
face on the hub flange. The purpose of the paper gasket is to fill this
void and prevent oil leaks and deflection of the flange.The gasket should
be the thinnest to do the job. A well designed and manufactured gasket
will compress and also have some resiliance to expand. The gasket in the
rear axle case should not be in contact with the bearing/spacing shim ( a
very small surface area ) but will impact on the compression : torque :
stud stretch on the wheel stud and therefore its ability to remain tight.

joe