Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question

To: Healey list <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear axle gasket question
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:35:37 +0800

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598

> The reason why this gasket is supposed to be so thin is that the mating
> surfaces are small and machined with good flat surfaces from good quality
> iron / steel.  Because the hub is subject to extremely high lateral
> cyclical loading on the nuts = loosening of the nuts = oil leaks = damaged
> hub bolts and worn spline hubs = wheels coming off eventually.
>
> Also I f you notice, usually gaskets used on aluminum mating surfaces are
> thicker than those used on surfaces made of steel or cast iron.
>
> Rather than using the moss gasket, you're better off cutting your own from
> some acid free paper.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598

t:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The reason why this gasket is supposed t=
o be so thin is that the mating surfaces are small and machined with good f=
lat surfaces=C2=A0from good quality iron / steel.=C2=A0 Because the hub is =
subject to extremely high lateral loading, you don&#39;t want a thick gaske=
t because gasket compression =3D cyclical loading on the nuts =3D loosening=
 of the nuts =3D oil leaks =3D damaged hub bolts and worn spline hubs =3D w=
sually gaskets used on aluminum mating surfaces are thicker than those used=
an using the moss gasket, you&#39;re better off cutting your own from some =
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex"><br>

--047d7b2e06ed9f7a07050d984598--