Re: [Healeys] Water Pump

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water Pump
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 11:42:53 +1300
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <1425271979.78931.YahooMailNeo@web185002.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <FEEF2DAA-6F10-47D0-AC80-D9A64B01532A@bornet.net> <803193345.1988933.1425305783938.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net> <000001d0550c$e4db9a30$ae92ce90$@sbcglobal.net> <SNT149-W2208036565445C2AE90506A5110@phx.gbl> <CAPAC+V4dtt=E=yDDSuHxsrdv_bcQC2HdFA0mX7R=OJEQ11ukJQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAB3i7LJaRtKR6tBme+Qua+cjXgnV-kY3XZToTnNYQ5TZ_AEjog@mail.gmail.com> <CACCi48RiWDjt65JqL6dSjdToKvFD=45acRWUU_thOvVd+TV+9w@mail.gmail.com> <F0252FEB35BD44D2B0793BDB0D71290B@atc0f226cd3237> <54F9648F.6020907@chello.nl>
--===============0665914832368170822==

--001a11c34270b0fb420510a6674c

With all due respect Kees,
Believe me replacing the bearing(s) and seal in a water pump of this type
is far from as simple as you "imagine"...
First the bearing ID and OD are such that no available ball bearing
(required to absorb end thrust) is available.
The original cartridge bearing uses the hardened shaft itself as the inner
bearing race to produce a bearing small enough to fit in yet provide
sufficient diameter for the pump shaft.
Obviously a needle bearing would fit in but such bearings will not
accommodate end thrust so would be useless in this application.
The original cartridge bearings actually had a hole in the outer race to
allow them to be lubricated in place but as is is so easy to inject too
much grease and by so doing dislodge the end seals of the bearings the
current practice is to make such bearings "sealed for life" such as in
modern water pumps and alternators.
Additionally the "seal" is not a typical "lip" oil seal. It is in fact a
combination bellows and carbon plate style seal the carbon of which runs on
the face of the impellor and must be capable of preventing cooling system
pressure from forcing coolant past the seal without rapidly wearing away.
As I keep saying; these components were developed over decades of trial and
error with the hundreds of thousands of examples produced serving an
exacting and rigorous "test bed".  Anyone who thinks that they can  do
better than the engineers of the day without a substantial investment of
both money and time is dreamin"..
Michael S
BN1 #174

    http://ai2q.org/ <http://ai2q.org/>*

--=20
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a11c34270b0fb420510a6674c

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">With all due respect Kees,<br></div><div =
class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-=
size:small">Believe me replacing the bearing(s) and seal in a water pump of=
 this type is far from as simple as you &quot;imagine&quot;...<br></div><di=
v class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;fon=
t-size:small">First the bearing ID and OD are such that no available ball b=
earing (required to absorb end thrust) is available. <br></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
small">The original cartridge bearing uses the hardened shaft itself as the=
 inner bearing race to produce a bearing small enough to fit in yet provide=
 sufficient diameter for the pump shaft.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_defau=
lt" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Obviousl=
y a needle bearing would fit in but such bearings will not accommodate end =
thrust so would be useless in this application. <br></div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">=
The original cartridge bearings actually had a hole in the outer race to al=
low them to be lubricated in place but as is is so easy to inject too much =
grease and by so doing dislodge the end seals of the bearings the current p=
ractice is to make such bearings &quot;sealed for life&quot; such as in mod=
ern water pumps and alternators.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Additionally the=
 &quot;seal&quot; is not a typical &quot;lip&quot; oil seal. It is in fact =
a combination bellows and carbon plate style seal the carbon of which runs =
on the face of the impellor and must be capable of preventing cooling syste=
m pressure from forcing coolant past the seal without rapidly wearing away.=
ans-serif;font-size:small">As I keep saying; these components were develope=
d over decades of trial and error with the hundreds of thousands of example=
s produced serving an exacting and rigorous &quot;test bed&quot;.=C2=A0 Any=
one who thinks that they can=C2=A0 do better than the engineers of the day =
without a substantial investment of both money and time is dreamin&quot;.. =
ans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174 <br=
ri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:25 PM, Oudesluys <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:coudesluijs@chello.nl" target=3D"_blank">coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      to a lathe it should not be to difficult to make up a shaft that
      will fit a sealed needle/roller bearing (pulley side) and a ball
      bearing (vane side) if both vane and pulley are in serviceable
      condition. The seal is not really difficult to replace even when
      the outside diameter is a bit smaller one can always fit a thin
      wall bush.<br>
      You can even fit a grease nipple in the pump housing between the
      two bearings but you have to remove the bearing seals on the
      inside. I did so on a water pump of a daily driver Jensen Healey
      in the late 70&#39;s. The internal diameter of the needle bearing rin=
      was slightly smaller than the internal diameter of the pulley so I
      had to make an extra bush to press on the shaft on which I could
      press the pulley, but it all worked well and lasted until the car
      was taken of the road about 60.000mls later.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Alex schreef op 6-3-2015 om 0:00:<br>
     =20
     =20
          the pump.</strong></div>
          =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 <em>&quot;The Blue Mainie,&quot; 1960 Au=
stin Healey 3000 BT7<br>
            =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 &quot;Conkling,&quot; 1946 M.G. TC #13=
21<br>
            =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Former owner 1957 A-H 100-6, 1967 A-H =
BJ8, <br>
            =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 1965 MG Midget=C2=A0=C2=A0 =E2=80=B9(=
=E2=80=A2=C2=BF=E2=80=A2)=E2=80=BA<br>
            =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 </em><a href=3D"http://ai2q.org/"; targ=
johnbahesr@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">JOHN BAHE SR</a> </div>
:michaelsalter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">Michael Salter</a> </div>
healeys@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">healeys</a> </div>
            pump that I was told was an original pump that had been
            rebuilt,=C2=A0 I assume your rebuild kits are for an original
            pump but I am not sure how to tell an original 1966 BJ8
            pump.=C2=A0 The extra pump I have is cast iron but does not hav=
            the opening that shows the copper wire bearing retainer.=C2=A0
            The only number on the pump is by the outlet and is 170836.=C2=
=A0
            Any help identifying an original would be appreciated.=C2=A0
            Thanks for your time !!</div>
            Michael Salter <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaels=
alter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
                  a derivation of the TR4 wet sleeve 4 cylinder; or
                  perhaps the other way around :-).<br>
                  same as the later BJ7/8 pump but as I recall although
                  the bearing shaft is the same length and diameter and
                  the OD of the outer is the same the overall length of
                  the outer is shorter and the races are closer
                  together. I have a box of them somewhere back in
                  Canada.<br>
                  I think that is the bearing that has been used in the
                  currently available repro pump..<br>
                  be used made to work in=C2=A0 an original BJ7/8 pump but =
it
                  is not designed for that application and the loads on
                  the bearings would be substantially increased as a
                  result of the races being closer together.<br>
                      Wescoe <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fredwe=
scoe@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">fredwescoe@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
                      wrote:<br>
                            my BJ7 water pump and said the internals
                            were the same as a Massey Ferguson tractor.<br>
                          Fred<br>
                                WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:ynotink@msn.com"; target=3D"_blank">ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt;<=
/span>
                                wrote:<br>
                                      most of the Brits of the era
                                      shared some parts with tractors,
                                      Triumph especially. For that
                                      reason it&#39;s possible to cross
                                      reference water pump repair kits
                                      in some instances and source them
                                      from Tractor Supply stores. It
                                      would be interesting to know if
                                      this is true for the Austin 4s and
                                      6s.<br>
                                      Bill Lawrence<br>
                                      <hr> From: <a href=3D"mailto:jmsdarch=
@sbcglobal.net" target=3D"_blank">jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net</a><br>
                                      To: <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.t=
eam.net" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                      Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 09:18:24
                                      -0800<span><br>
                                        Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water
                                        Pump<br>
                                            impeller seal, are hard to
                                            get if you can find them at
                                            all.</span></p>
an>
                                                Healeys [mailto:<a href=3D"=
mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">healeys-bounces@au=
tox.team.net</a>]
                                                <b>On Behalf Of </b>Adventu=
re
                                                Limousine<br>
                                                <b>Sent:</b> Monday,
                                                March 2, 2015 6:16 AM<br>
                                                <b>To:</b> Magnus
                                                Karlsson<span><br>
                                                  <b>Cc:</b> Healey
                                                  Lista<br>
                                                  <b>Subject:</b> Re:
                                                  [Healeys] Water Pump</spa=
n></span></p>
                                                talk about water pump
                                                quality, has anyone
                                                considered rebuilding
                                                the original pump with
                                                new bearings and seals?=C2=
=A0
                                                Just throwing some gas
                                                on this fire.</span></p>
                                      _____________________________________=
__________
                                      Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://ww=
w.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a>
                                      Suggested annual donation $12.75
                                      Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
                                      Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.ne=
t/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
net" target=3D"_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
nfo/healeys</a>
                                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http:/=
/autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com</a>
                                  Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.te=
am.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><b=
r>
                                  Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br=

                                  Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/a=
rchive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                                  Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/fo=
rums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
 target=3D"_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
healeys</a><br>
eam.net/mailman/options/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com</a><br>
                        Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/don=
ate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                        Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
                        Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                        Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
"_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
ilman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
                  -- <br>
ith
                              a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electrical
              Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
              Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_b=
lank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
              Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
ealeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
options/healeys/johnbahesr@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.n=
et/mailman/options/healeys/johnbahesr@gmail.com</a><br>
          -- <br>
=3D"+15025992696" target=3D"_blank">(502) 599-2696</a></div>
">johnbahesr@gmail.com</a></div>
        <hr> _______________________________________________<br>
        Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
        Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
        Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">=
        Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
@autox.team.net</a><br>
        Unsubscribe/Manage:
drunner.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healey=
s/alexmm@roadrunner.com</a><br>
        <hr>
          Date: 03/05/15</p>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
__________________
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a>

eam.net</a>

s/coudesluijs@chello.nl" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>

</pre>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
     =20
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a href=3D"http://www.avg.com"; target=3D"_=
        Versie: 2015.0.5751 / Virusdatabase: 4299/9235 - datum van
        uitgifte: 03/05/15</p>

nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/=
options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
color:black">If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an elect=

--001a11c34270b0fb420510a6674c--