Re: [Healeys] Water Pump

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water Pump
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:48:26 +0100
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <1425271979.78931.YahooMailNeo@web185002.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <FEEF2DAA-6F10-47D0-AC80-D9A64B01532A@bornet.net> <803193345.1988933.1425305783938.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net> <000001d0550c$e4db9a30$ae92ce90$@sbcglobal.net> <SNT149-W2208036565445C2AE90506A5110@phx.gbl> <CAPAC+V4dtt=E=yDDSuHxsrdv_bcQC2HdFA0mX7R=OJEQ11ukJQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAB3i7LJaRtKR6tBme+Qua+cjXgnV-kY3XZToTnNYQ5TZ_AEjog@mail.gmail.com> <CACCi48RiWDjt65JqL6dSjdToKvFD=45acRWUU_thOvVd+TV+9w@mail.gmail.com> <F0252FEB35BD44D2B0793BDB0D71290B@atc0f226cd3237> <54F9648F.6020907@chello.nl> <CAB3i7L+NFkQ+WbKNVUe9aJ=rTmRDH-16BLaXmj-XPsPNBGVyfg@mail.gmail.com>
--===============8156756248081590371==
 boundary="------------060203040008080904090406"

--------------060203040008080904090406

Michael,

I am well aware how a water pump is constructed and that one needs at
least one ball bearing to absorb thrust. This should be on the vane side
as that is the bearing with the lesser load and where there is no
bending force on the shaft. I fitted the needle bearing on the pulley
side as that is where the higher load and bending force from the belt
tension is.
To be able to fit a ball bearing one has to reduce the diameter of the
shaft where the bearing is seated and press fit a bush on the shaft
which will also fit the vane after the bearing is fitted. This what I
did on the first JH pump I rebuilt about 35 yrs ago as I did not have
the resources for a new pump. I expect an AH water pump is not that much
different in construction.
I did not say it is a simple job but if you know how to work on a lathe
it is not overly difficult.  And if one does not have a suitable
alternative of decent quality one should use a bit of ingenuity.
The carbon seal against the sealing face of the vane is available in a
variety of sizes. If one cannot get the exact size you can make up a
bush/sleeve or enlarge the diameter in the pump house for the depth of
the seal. It is imperative that you decide on the dimensions and that
you have all the parts needed before you start.
On my JH I would now use a water pump bearing and seal from an old slant
4 Vauxhall. It is an exact fit except for the length. After all is
fitted I have to shorten the shaft at the pulley end, no problem and NOS
Vauxhall pumps for extracting the needed parts are dirt cheap and
plentyfull available. I rebuild quite a number of JH/Lotus water pumps
this way.
I am surprised that no usable alternative has been found for the AH
pumps. I cannot imagine that there is no way of getting around the
problem. A slightly different outside diameter can be addressed to in a
rebuild by fitting a sleeve or reaming the housing and the same goes for
the shaft diameter/vane/pulley.
As for lubricating the bearings of a water pump, there is often some
mentioning about a certain amount of strokes of the grease gun in the
WSM or instruction manual. If you keep pumping until the grease oozes
out not only the seals will fail but very likely the bearings as well.
Best to use sealed for life bearings.
On the other hand the bearing on the vane side does not really need a
seal to keep out the dirt, excess of grease may exit through the leak
hole in the pump housing. This obviously would not be my preferred
solution though.
If I remember correctly the water pump on my Triumph Spitfire did not
have a proper seal at the pulley side either, just a dust shield plus a
load of old grease to keep the dirt out.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Michael Salter schreef op 6-3-2015 om 23:42:
> With all due respect Kees,
> Believe me replacing the bearing(s) and seal in a water pump of this
> type is far from as simple as you "imagine"...
> First the bearing ID and OD are such that no available ball bearing
> (required to absorb end thrust) is available.
> The original cartridge bearing uses the hardened shaft itself as the
> inner bearing race to produce a bearing small enough to fit in yet
> provide sufficient diameter for the pump shaft.
> Obviously a needle bearing would fit in but such bearings will not
> accommodate end thrust so would be useless in this application.
> The original cartridge bearings actually had a hole in the outer race
> to allow them to be lubricated in place but as is is so easy to inject
> too much grease and by so doing dislodge the end seals of the bearings
> the current practice is to make such bearings "sealed for life" such
> as in modern water pumps and alternators.
> Additionally the "seal" is not a typical "lip" oil seal. It is in fact
> a combination bellows and carbon plate style seal the carbon of which
> runs on the face of the impellor and must be capable of preventing
> cooling system pressure from forcing coolant past the seal without
> rapidly wearing away.
> As I keep saying; these components were developed over decades of
> trial and error with the hundreds of thousands of examples produced
> serving an exacting and rigorous "test bed".  Anyone who thinks that
> they can  do better than the engineers of the day without a
> substantial investment of both money and time is dreamin"..
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:25 PM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl
>
>     I would imagine that if you have access to a lathe it should not
>     be to difficult to make up a shaft that will fit a sealed
>     needle/roller bearing (pulley side) and a ball bearing (vane side)
>     if both vane and pulley are in serviceable condition. The seal is
>     not really difficult to replace even when the outside diameter is
>     a bit smaller one can always fit a thin wall bush.
>     You can even fit a grease nipple in the pump housing between the
>     two bearings but you have to remove the bearing seals on the
>     inside. I did so on a water pump of a daily driver Jensen Healey
>     in the late 70's. The internal diameter of the needle bearing ring
>     was slightly smaller than the internal diameter of the pulley so I
>     had to make an extra bush to press on the shaft on which I could
>     press the pulley, but it all worked well and lasted until the car
>     was taken of the road about 60.000mls later.
>
>     Kees Oudesluijs
>

>     Alex schreef op 6-3-2015 om 0:00:
>>     *My original 1967 Healey 3000 had a grease nipple on the pump.*
>>     **
>>     *== Alex in Maine
>>     /"The Blue Mainie," 1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
>>          "Conkling," 1946 M.G. TC #1321
>>          Former owner 1957 A-H 100-6, 1967 A-H BJ8,
> [...]

  <head>
  </head>
      I am well aware how a water pump is constructed and that one needs
      at least one ball bearing to absorb thrust. This should be on the
      vane side as that is the bearing with the lesser load and where
      there is no bending force on the shaft. I fitted the needle
      bearing on the pulley side as that is where the higher load and
      bending force from the belt tension is. <br>
      To be able to fit a ball bearing one has to reduce the diameter of
      the shaft where the bearing is seated and press fit a bush on the
      shaft which will also fit the vane after the bearing is fitted.
      This what I did on the first JH pump I rebuilt about 35 yrs ago as
      I did not have the resources for a new pump. I expect an AH water
      pump is not that much different in construction.<br>
      I did not say it is a simple job but if you know how to work on a
      lathe it is not overly difficult.  And if one does not have a
      suitable alternative of decent quality one should use a bit of
      ingenuity. <br>
      The carbon seal against the sealing face of the vane is available
      in a variety of sizes. If one cannot get the exact size you can
      make up a bush/sleeve or enlarge the diameter in the pump house
      for the depth of the seal. It is imperative that you decide on the
      dimensions and that you have all the parts needed before you
      start.<br>
      On my JH I would now use a water pump bearing and seal from an old
      slant 4 Vauxhall. It is an exact fit except for the length. After
      all is fitted I have to shorten the shaft at the pulley end, no
      problem and NOS Vauxhall pumps for extracting the needed parts are
      dirt cheap and plentyfull available. I rebuild quite a number of
      JH/Lotus water pumps this way.<br>
      I am surprised that no usable alternative has been found for the
      AH pumps. I cannot imagine that there is no way of getting around
      the problem. A slightly different outside diameter can be
      addressed to in a rebuild by fitting a sleeve or reaming the
      housing and the same goes for the shaft diameter/vane/pulley.<br>
      As for lubricating the bearings of a water pump, there is often
      some mentioning about a certain amount of strokes of the grease
      gun in the WSM or instruction manual. If you keep pumping until
      the grease oozes out not only the seals will fail but very likely
      the bearings as well. Best to use sealed for life bearings.<br>
      On the other hand the bearing on the vane side does not really
      need a seal to keep out the dirt, excess of grease may exit
      through the leak hole in the pump housing. This obviously would
      not be my preferred solution though.<br>
      If I remember correctly the water pump on my Triumph Spitfire did
      not have a proper seal at the pulley side either, just a dust
      shield plus a load of old grease to keep the dirt out.<br>
      Cheers,<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      NL<br>
      Michael Salter schreef op 6-3-2015 om 23:42:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+NFkQ+WbKNVUe9aJ=rTmRDH-16BLaXmj-XPsPNBGVyfg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          and seal in a water pump of this type is far from as simple as
          you "imagine"...<br>
          that no available ball bearing (required to absorb end thrust)
          is available. <br>
          the hardened shaft itself as the inner bearing race to produce
          a bearing small enough to fit in yet provide sufficient
          diameter for the pump shaft.<br>
          in but such bearings will not accommodate end thrust so would
          be useless in this application. <br>
          actually had a hole in the outer race to allow them to be
          lubricated in place but as is is so easy to inject too much
          grease and by so doing dislodge the end seals of the bearings
          the current practice is to make such bearings "sealed for
          life" such as in modern water pumps and alternators.<br>
          typical "lip" oil seal. It is in fact a combination bellows
          and carbon plate style seal the carbon of which runs on the
          face of the impellor and must be capable of preventing cooling
          system pressure from forcing coolant past the seal without
          rapidly wearing away.<br>
          were developed over decades of trial and error with the
          hundreds of thousands of examples produced serving an exacting
          and rigorous "test bed".  Anyone who thinks that they can  do
          better than the engineers of the day without a substantial
          investment of both money and time is dreamin".. <br>
          Oudesluys <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";
target="_blank">coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
                should not be to difficult to make up a shaft that will
                fit a sealed needle/roller bearing (pulley side) and a
                ball bearing (vane side) if both vane and pulley are in
                serviceable condition. The seal is not really difficult
                to replace even when the outside diameter is a bit
                smaller one can always fit a thin wall bush.<br>
                You can even fit a grease nipple in the pump housing
                between the two bearings but you have to remove the
                bearing seals on the inside. I did so on a water pump of
                a daily driver Jensen Healey in the late 70's. The
                internal diameter of the needle bearing ring was
                slightly smaller than the internal diameter of the
                pulley so I had to make an extra bush to press on the
                shaft on which I could press the pulley, but it all
                worked well and lasted until the car was taken of the
                road about 60.000mls later.<br>
                Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                Alex schreef op 6-3-2015 om 0:00:<br>
                        grease nipple on the pump.</strong></div>
                             <em>"The Blue Mainie," 1960 Austin Healey
                          3000 BT7<br>
                               "Conkling," 1946 M.G. TC #1321<br>
                               Former owner 1957 A-H 100-6, 1967 A-H
                          BJ8, <br>
                               1965 MG Midget   �(�¿�)�<br>
                               </em><a moz-do-not-send="true"
                          href="http://ai2q.org/";
                          title="johnbahesr@gmail.com"
                          href="mailto:johnbahesr@gmail.com";
                          target="_blank">JOHN BAHE SR</a> </div>
                          title="michaelsalter@gmail.com"
                          href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";
                          target="_blank">Michael Salter</a> </div>
                          title="healeys@autox.team.net"
                          href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                          target="_blank">healeys</a> </div>
                          an extra water pump that I was told was an
                          original pump that had been rebuilt,  I assume
                          your rebuild kits are for an original pump but
                          I am not sure how to tell an original 1966 BJ8
                          pump.  The extra pump I have is cast iron but
                          does not have the opening that shows the
                          copper wire bearing retainer.  The only number
                          on the pump is by the outlet and is 170836.
                          Any help identifying an original would be
                          appreciated.  Thanks for your time !!</div>
                          4:54 PM, Michael Salter <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                              moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";

target="_blank">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
                          wrote:<br>
                                Massey-Ferguson engine is a derivation
                                of the TR4 wet sleeve 4 cylinder; or
                                perhaps the other way around :-).<br>
                                seal is the same as the later BJ7/8 pump
                                but as I recall although the bearing
                                shaft is the same length and diameter
                                and the OD of the outer is the same the
                                overall length of the outer is shorter
                                and the races are closer together. I
                                have a box of them somewhere back in
                                Canada.<br>
                                I think that is the bearing that has
                                been used in the currently available
                                repro pump..<br>
                                that it could be used made to work in
                                an original BJ7/8 pump but it is not
                                designed for that application and the
                                loads on the bearings would be
                                substantially increased as a result of
                                the races being closer together.<br>
                                    Fred Wescoe <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        href="mailto:fredwescoe@gmail.com";

target="_blank">fredwescoe@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
                                    wrote:<br>
                                          builder rebuilt my BJ7 water
                                          pump and said the internals
                                          were the same as a Massey
                                          Ferguson tractor.<br>
                                        Fred<br>
                                              12:37 AM, WILLIAM B
                                              LAWRENCE <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                                                  moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com"; target="_blank">ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt;</span>
                                              wrote:<br>
                                            class="gmail_quote">
                                                    understand that most
                                                    of the Brits of the
                                                    era shared some
                                                    parts with tractors,
                                                    Triumph especially.
                                                    For that reason it's
                                                    possible to cross
                                                    reference water pump
                                                    repair kits in some
                                                    instances and source
                                                    them from Tractor
                                                    Supply stores. It
                                                    would be interesting
                                                    to know if this is
                                                    true for the Austin
                                                    4s and 6s.<br>
                                                    Bill Lawrence<br>
                                                    <hr> From: <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net";
target="_blank">jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net</a><br>
                                                    To: <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                                    Date: Mon, 2 Mar
                                                    2015 09:18:24
-0800<span><br>
                                                      Subject: Re:
                                                      [Healeys] Water
                                                      Pump<br>
                                                          parts, like
                                                          the impeller
                                                          seal, are hard
                                                          to get if you
                                                          can find them
                                                          at all.</span></p>

                                                          Healeys
                                                          [mailto:<a
                                                          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>]
                                                          <b>On Behalf
                                                          Of </b>Adventure

                                                          Limousine<br>
                                                          <b>Sent:</b>
                                                          Monday, March
                                                          2, 2015 6:16
                                                          AM<br>
                                                          <b>To:</b>
                                                          Magnus
                                                          Karlsson<span><br>
                                                          <b>Cc:</b>
                                                          Healey Lista<br>
                                                          <b>Subject:</b>
                                                          Re: [Healeys]
                                                          Water
                                                          all of this
                                                          talk about
                                                          water pump
                                                          quality, has
                                                          anyone
                                                          considered
                                                          rebuilding the
                                                          original pump
                                                          with new
                                                          bearings and
                                                          seals?  Just
                                                          throwing some
                                                          gas on this
                                                          fire.</span></p>

                                                    Support Team.Net <a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
                                                    Suggested annual
                                                    donation $12.75
                                                    Archive: <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
                                                    Forums: <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.team.net/forums"; target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
                                                    <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
                                                    <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                                                    Unsubscribe/Manage:
                                                    <a
                                                      moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com</a>
                                                Support Team.Net <a
                                                  moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                                                Suggested annual
                                                donation  $12.75<br>
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com</a><br>
                                      Support Team.Net <a
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                                      Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                                      Archive: <a
                                        moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        href="http://www.team.net/archive";

target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                                      Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                                      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                        href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";

target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                      <a moz-do-not-send="true"

                                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
                                -- <br>
                                            can't fix it with a hammer,
                                            you've got an electrical
                            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="http://www.team.net/archive";

target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="http://www.team.net/forums";
                              target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
                              target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                            <a moz-do-not-send="true"

                            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                              moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/johnbahesr@gmail.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/johnbahesr@gmail.com</a><br>
                        -- <br>
                                href="tel:%28502%29%20599-2696"
                                value="+15025992696" target="_blank">(502)

                                599-2696</a></div>
                                href="mailto:johnbahesr@gmail.com";
                                target="_blank">johnbahesr@gmail.com</a></div>
                      <hr>
                      Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                        target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                      Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                      Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/archive";
                        target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                      Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://www.team.net/forums";
                        target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
                        target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";

                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/alexmm@roadrunner.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/alexmm@roadrunner.com</a><br>
                      <hr>
                        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                          href="http://www.avg.com";
target="_blank">www.avg.com</a><br>
                        - Release Date: 03/05/15</p>
                    <fieldset></fieldset>
                <pre><div><div
class="h5">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/archive";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.team.net/forums";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a>

</pre>
                <fieldset></fieldset>
                    Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                      href="http://www.avg.com";
target="_blank">www.avg.com</a><br>
                  - datum van uitgifte: 03/05/15</p>

href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";

            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
        -- <br>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5751 / Virusdatabase: 4299/9243 - datum van
        uitgifte: 03/07/15</p>

--------------060203040008080904090406--