Re: [Healeys] Late Monday night rant.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Late Monday night rant.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 08:08:44 -0800

--------------DBAA2FFB4A14A26D982BE317

Michael,

I feel your pain. My dad got a new harness for our BN2 (probably from
Moss). I thought the harness was good quality overall, and everything
worked except the turn signals. I spent 3 days double-checking
everything; we went so far as to open the relay box, but everything
looked good in there. I eventually discovered the wiring to one of the
rear brake/turn lights was mis-colored. This really pissed me off, as
I'd wired a bare chassis just from the schematic and it would have been
100% correct if not for the misidentified wire. I'll probably never sell
the car, but whoever ends up with it will be confused, as a couple of
wires are interchanged from the schematic. Come to think of it, I should
probably label the flaw ... as soon as I finish all the other stuff
needs fixin'.

Bob

On 1/18/2021 11:38 PM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> Was in the engine bay doing some preliminary wiring of components
> tonight.  Specifically, the fuse block and the voltage regulator.
> Looking at a wiring diagram, the way you see in the two pictures is
> mostly correct, but look at what the arrows are pointing at.  At the
> point in the harness where the wires come out of the loom for the fuse
> block, you can see on the right hand side the arrow is pointing to a
> brown wire with a green stripe.  Good so far.  Now look what the arrow
> is pointing at on the other side of the fuse block.  It's a large
> solid brown wire.  Now in the wiring diagram this brown wire is
> supposed to be a continuation of the brown with a green stripe wire.
> That brown wire with the green strip that was supposed to be there
> goes to the "A" connection of the voltage regulator.  Now look at the
> picture of the voltage regulator and notice what the orange arrow is
> pointing at. It is the other end of the plain, large brown wire!  The
> electrical connections are correct. The color coding of the harness is
> not.  I have just started wiring.  What else might I find in the rest
> of the harness? This harness was a gift from my late friend Tom
> Rocke.  It was one of many free parts he supplied for this rebuild.
> Don't know if I should complain about a free harness.
> Mike MacLean

--------------DBAA2FFB4A14A26D982BE317

  <head>
  </head>
    Michael,<br>
    I feel your pain. My dad got a new harness for our BN2 (probably
    from Moss). I thought the harness was good quality overall, and
    everything worked except the turn signals. I spent 3 days
    double-checking everything; we went so far as to open the relay box,
    but everything looked good in there. I eventually discovered the
    wiring to one of the rear brake/turn lights was mis-colored. This
    really pissed me off, as I'd wired a bare chassis just from the
    schematic and it would have been 100% correct if not for the
    misidentified wire. I'll probably never sell the car, but whoever
    ends up with it will be confused, as a couple of wires are
    interchanged from the schematic. Come to think of it, I should
    probably label the flaw ... as soon as I finish all the other stuff
    needs fixin'.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1246393228.921363.1611041941196@mail.yahoo.com">
        new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;">
[...]
          know if I should complain about a free harness.</div>

--------------DBAA2FFB4A14A26D982BE317--

--===============8721338332450982618==