Re: Kids today...

To: s4usea@hotmail.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Kids today...
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:54:19 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/00 1:53:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
s4usea@hotmail.com writes:

<< For instance, we have a guy in my local MG that has a pristine MGA.
 He wants to get rid of it and retire to Florida but none of his three kids
 want anything to do with it, >>

One question I'd have is whether he involved his kids in his passion for MG's
when they were young.  Or was he the "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF" type.  I have a 5
yr old and a 9 year old and they love MG's.  They both help me as I restore
(frame -up) my 52 TD, and they love going out for drives in my 68 BGT.  Of
course, we usually end up someplace fun for them (playground, ice cream,
miniture golf) but they love going out with me, even if it's just for a 30
minute spin after a rainy weekend.  I'm getting my son involved in rallying
with me in the GT, and we came in second in our first attempt this summer.
Guess what his "What I did this summer..." essay was about when he returned
to school.

So it might come back to how involved you get your kids, and how fun you make
it, and how much quality time you get out of it as a family, that will
determine whether they carry on the tradition.  Both my kids say today that
they want MG's when they grow up. (Of course, my son wants his B with a lift
kit, monster tires, and the works -- actually, that sounds cool).  Even my
nieces and nephews love the cars, and have said they'd like to have one.  My
oldest niece is 14, and she's already asked if she can take her drivers test
in my BGT when it's time.