Re: Help! No Electricity!

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help! No Electricity!
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:27:30 -0400
Electrical problems like this present no great mystery, it's mostly a
matter of methodically checking until the break is found. I assume
you're measuring the 12.5 volts right at the battery. That is good,
since it does mean the battery is charged. So now, to find where the
connection is missing. The first thing I'd check, since everything seems
to be disconnected, is the connection from battery to ground. I'm
assuming you have a volt meter; if not, you'll need to get one. Measure
from the negative side of the battery (I'm assuming your car is still
the normal positive ground) to anywhere on the chasis. Still getting
12.5 volts? Is so, the ground is probably OK.

If that works, start tracing the negative circuit. Since you've proven
ground is good, you can connect to ground at any point on the chasis,
which will prove convenient as you move around. So, just start testing
each point in the circuit starting right at the battery and moving
farther away until you reach the first point where you have no reading.
At that point, there must be a break in the circuit. Good luck!

--Nels Anderson
  53 TD