Re: Help! No Electricity!

To: "S. Allen" <scottallen3663@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Help! No Electricity!
From: "Dave and Liz DuBois" <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
Scott,

I think that our posts crossed on the way, but I will reiterate, your
porblem is not the ammeter, the current for the starter does not go
through the ammeter.  You are having a problem with excessive resistance
in the negative battery cable or the clamp that goes onto the battery
post.  The clue is the fact that you have low voltage on the cable when
you checked first.  After removing the cable and reconnecting it, the
voltage came up to 12.5 volts, but as soon as you put a load on the
system, the voltage dropped.  Don't try to fin this by using an ohmeter,
high resisance on a battery cable is anything over a few miliohms and the
ohms cale of a multimeter won't read tat low.  You might try cleaning the
clamp and battery post until they are both bright and shiny.  While you
are doing that, do the same for the ground cable.  If that doesn't solve
the problem, then jumper the negative side with a jumper cable, then the
ground side as the ground cable can look good, but still have corrosion in
the crimped portion.  Aso check the actual ground connection of the grund
cable.  Make sur that you have bright shinny metal, both on the firewall
where the cable connects and on the cable end.  See my article on ground
point preparations at:
http://www.omgtr.ca/technical/General_Technical/grounding.htm
Good hunting,
Dave