Re: Sparking Plugs

To: "Nels Anderson" <nels@flightsim.com>
Subject: Re: Sparking Plugs
From: <dcong996@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:34:10 -0400
" If so, mine says:  88422"
?
Could this be the end of 168422 ( it not readable and the 6 looking like an
8 ? Some of this castings were rough- If so the 3/4 plug is correct, and the
previous plugs were wrong.
Ye you are just after the thread measurement. Measure as suggested.  He is
saying to bend a small 90 in the end of a wire, insert it through the
sparkplug hole and pull the bent portion up against the underside of the
head. Carefully mark or scribe the outside of the wire against the head
where the plug would seat. Remove and measure. As cautioned don't drop the
wire in the hole. I would use a piece about a foot long, so that it wouldn't
fall in if it slipped.
If the head is for 3/4 reach plugs, and 1/2 inch were used for awhile, there
may be some carbon buildup in the lower unused threads. If so, carefully
clean this out, as the 3/4 plug may resist going all the way in.  Some
penetrating oil to soften the crud would help. A tap the same thread of the
plug , 14mm I think, would be ideal.

Dallas