Re: Sparking Plugs

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sparking Plugs
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 17:02:18 -0400
OK, so I went and took another look. If it's really as crude as you say,
that *could* be a "1" at the left edge, but it's actually just a bump in
the edge, not a distinct digit. The next digit sure looks like an "8"
but I can't really be sure it's not a "6". So maybe it really does say
"168422". Here's a photo:

http://www.train-sim.com/mgtd/head_casting.jpg

I also took a measurement. In my tool box I had one of those picks, sort
of like a dental tool, with a 90 degree bend in it. I marked it 3/4"
from the bend, stuck it in the hole and pulled back; the outer edge
lined up with my 3/4" mark, so it sure looks like there are 3/4" of
thread there.

Finally, I tried inserting a 3/4" plug. Looking into the head, I can
actually see a color change in the threads part way down, which must be
the expected carbon build-up on the inner end. Sure enough, I ran into
this trying to get the 3/4" plug in all the way. By doing some cleaning,
and going in and out a few times I finally got it in all the way.

Then, as a test, I inserted the hand crank and turned the engine a few
time to see if there was any obstructions. It turned just fine.

So, is there anything else I should check or should I insert the rest of
the 3/4" plugs and run it?

So, it does look like it's been running with the wrong plugs all these
years. Amazing it's always run so well.

Nels Anderson
nels@flightsim.com
1953 MGTD 28177