Re: MGR headers & exhaust

To: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: MGR headers & exhaust
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 07:02:03 -0500
Cc: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim Stuart wrote:

> The RV8 style headers do not include a Y pipe arrangement, & frankly, I
> have not given it much thought. It appears that in some ways, it would
> be easier to just run duals straight back, maybe add an H pipe to
> balance. I know that this traditionally means centering the gas tank,
> but it has to be replaced anyway.
>
> OK guys, who has done it or has planned it out?
>
> Thanks--
>
> Jim Stuart

    My "project" includes the use of dual exhaust.  The headers are of the
block hugger type from APT.  After all, I'm a product of the 60's so you
have to have duals.  At least, that was my thinking.  Yes, the tank has to
be recentered.  That is not a big deal.  The big deal is moving the hole in
the boot floor so it will be where it needs to be.  I elected to move the
hole rather than move the filler neck hole in the body.  What I did was cut
(my neighbor has a plasma cutter) the hole and some boot floor out and
turned it 180 degrees and welded it back in.  If I remember correctly I
used the stock B filler neck and a fuel connector pipe from a late MG
midget which is longer.
    I had to redo the little cut out thing  (Jeez, I have a grasp for
technical words!!) on the pan under the bumper to make it look correct on
the left side.  The right side was made from a reversed template of the
left side.  My exhaust pipe guru made the whole mess from the headers back
to include the obligatory chrome tips and arched over the Ford axle
tubes--one piece each side.  It's been a little over a year now so I doubt
if he remembers the "Here- and don't ever bring this @#$%^* back here!"  It
cost $185 for everything so I don't figure he was too unhappy.
    The mufflers are under the floor/seats.  I don't know how this will
work as it has not progressed that far yet.  I know I'm in for some heat
problems but I'll see how it works if it ever runs.  All I need to do now
is plumb it, wire it, and do the interior.  Yeah, right.........

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO