Front engine castings and crank scrapers

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front engine castings and crank scrapers
From: "Daryl M. Naskale" <mgb@naskale.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:28:39 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello,

I am a lurker to this group while I slowly collect parts and work on
finishing another project so I can get started on my MGB V8 conversion.
I have a 72 MGB that I have owned for about 15 years and have used for
everything from a daily driver to a regional championship winning street
prepared Solo 2 car over the years. It has been parked for a couple of
years in preparation for a restoration. I was originally going to build
a hot little engine based on the original engine, but I stumbled upon a
solid 1979 SD1 engine and 5-speed for $200, and I decided fate wanted me
to go V8. I am currently in the final stages of freeing a berth in my
limited garage space to start working on the car, and I have begun
pulling apart the engine in anticipation of sending it to the machine
shop for preparation for a rebuild. The issue that prompts this posting
is the front engine casting, the one that houses the water pump and oil
pump etc. Mine was damaged and has crack in the water pump section from
a mishap moving the engine. So I need another one. My question is, how
many different versions of this are there, and what would be the best
one to use for my particular engine and application? I think that the
old ones used inferior seals, but are there any that have any special
features that make them more desirable? Does anyone have an extra one
they would like to part with, or have a suggestion as to a good source
for one?

Another item I wanted to mention is the subject of the crank scraper.
Does anyone run one or have any comments on them? The reason I ask is
because I recently loaned my engine to a local gentleman who makes them,
and he now offers them in a pattern to fit the 3.5liter engines. He used
my engine to make the pattern and as a fee for the use of of an engine
he provides a free scraper. I have also provided him with use of a
couple of other engines, so I have a few scrapers coming. If anyone is
interested in a trade in full or part of a scraper for a engine front
housing, let me know. The link below is to his ebay listing for the
scrapers so you can see what they look like, I would like to hear some
comments on these, good, bad or indifferent. I haven't had the
opportunity to try one yet, although I have been familiar with the
concept for a while. I ran a homemade oil pan baffle/windage tray on my
MGB for years. While the crank scraper concept seems sound to me, I am
not recommending them, I would just like to hear some voices of
experience comment on them. Unless convinced otherwise I plan on fitting
one to my engine when it goes back together.

Thanks,

Daryl Naskale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422725303
&category=46098