RE: Water pumps, again

To: "'JJJ'" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, mgb-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Water pumps, again
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:52:34 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>  For what it's worth, it looks like the shape of the facotry
> V-8 radiator is
> "identical" to the 77-80 radiator.  It looks like all they
> did was flip it
> around, and solder the fittings on the new side facing the
> engine.  I don't
> know if it has more rows or not in the core, but I wouldn't
> put it past BL
> in the late 70's to use the same tank stampings and fittings
> to save money
> (actualy, that's unfair of me, there's nothing wrong with
> being thrifty).

James:

I'm on a crusade to change our collective thinking about Rubber bumper MGBs
and the Factory MGB GT V8s.

The 1977-80 four cylinder MGBs had modified V8 radiators, not the other way
around.

Many of the parts we take for granted as being Rubber Bumper specific, such
as the front cross member and raised rear ride height date back to the first
chrome bumper MGB GT V8s.  I'd love to know some of the logic behind the
usage of V8 stampings and parts.  For instance why wern't the electric
cooling fans incorporated in 1975 across the line?  Why go to V8 engine
mounting points in 75 when the cross member was used to raise ride height,
rather than installing the earlied mountings on the frame rails?

Just as an aside, something I found interesting.  The 75-80 4 cylinder MGB
front engine plate is the same one used in the Austin/Morris Marina 1.8.

It's all very confusing really!

Kelvin.