Re: Help w/Rover 3.9 piston choices

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help w/Rover 3.9 piston choices
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:39:44 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
5/11/04

James et all,

        A 10.4 to 1 C R is all fine to talk about, but how does one stop
the dieseling after shutoff when using carburetors????  I have several cast
iron engines (Volvo & Morris) with CR of about 8.75 which diesel furiously
even on the highest octane fuel I can buy here in Northern California.  I
assume that fuel injection systems cut the fuel supply completely at
shutdown so no dieseling is possible.  Is this the case???  Is that 10.4
supposed to be with the sheet metal head gaskets?  There are not many
choices of head gaskets for these engines as far as I know.  So many
questions---------.

        The answer I have heard for the "ovality" question is to get your
pistons +.030" and bore the cylinders, not just hone.  Then you have
complete control.  The required bore size should be about +.010" compared
to the original 3.9 size.

Cheers,
David Kernbeerger