RE: British V8 meet.

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: British V8 meet.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:16:59 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Tom et al.

The organizer Bill Guzman owns and operates Classic Conversions,
specializing in Buick V6 conversion kits.  What with running a small
business, and his wife faced with medical problems, it was a wonder that
he had the energy to pull off the event at all.

Despite very poor advertising and a date change, the event did happen,
and I believe a pretty good time was had by all.  The consensus was that
the attendees loved their modified British cars, and were a bit fed up
of being treated like low lives at British shows.

Bill is a member of my local car club, so I found out about the event
the easy way.  There was a thread on the MG.org BBS for a while with the
new date, and Bill was pretty responsive to phone calls and e-mails.

A club for British Modifieds was created on the Saturday night, by the
remaining attendees gathered around Bill's latest V6 project in his
garage.  The pact was sealed with wine and bisuity type niblets, with a
tool tray acting as board table.

The initial vote was for no club dues.  The second vote was that there
would not be any bylaws.  Thus became our motto:   No dues, no don'ts!

We determined that a club flag would be in order, so we would know each
other even when driving sleeper conversions.  I suggested a Union Jack
with superimposed crossed cutting and TIG torches.  This suggestion was
improved upon by substituting a big hammer for the TIG head.  So the
official flag of the BMC club is a Union Jack with crossed Oxy Accet.
Torch (flaming) and hammer.  The edge of the flag closest to the torch
flame to be slightly singed.

Discussion of a 2005 event was tabled due to the lateness of the hour.
It was determined that we would arrange to meet and exhibit together at
the upcoming larger car shows, and arrangements for creation and
distribution of the club regalia would be made through e-mail.

All in all, a good time, with interesting (slightly balmy) people.  I'm
looking forward to seeing where it heads.

Regards

Kelvin Dodd
78 MGB V8 (conversion in tortoise like progress)
58 MGA twin cam (Mazda on rocker covers) in process
70 Rover SD1  (don't ask)
78 MGB Supercharged

Subject: British V8 meet.

I just looked at the British V8 newsletter and discovered they had the
2005 West Coast meet listed for July.  Since I was overseas then this
probably explains why I didn't know the meet in Camarillo was going on.
I had offered to help with this meet a year ago and never heard anything
back on it.  Just how did anyone find out the meet was going on and
when?  Has a club for British Modifieds formed on the west coast?
--
        Best Regards,
        Tom