Re: LBC, BTW?

To: Silikal@aol.com, davids@CyberGate.COM, macedonia-statc@kaman.com,
Subject: Re: LBC, BTW?
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 09:22:55 -0700
In message <950913091716_98295033@mail04.mail.aol.com>  writes:
> David Simpson writes:
> >> Dave "Clueless" Macedonia
> >> 1966 MGB
> >> macedonia-statc@kaman.com
> >>
> >Dave, (good name, BTW...)
> >   BTW means By The Way...
> >I still haven't figured out what an LBC is. I'm assuming it's something
> >like...
>
> Hey, those are good names.
>
> LBC stands for Little British Car.  Of course, some people who own Jaguar
> XJ's and such think it means Large British Car, but we tolerate the
> oversight.
>
> Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits
> A few more Daves on the list, and we'll reach critical mass.

Having been around on the British car list when the LBC accronem was being
coined, it was decided that it would stand for little AND large so those of us
with long wheelbase Land Rovers, MK VII Jags and Bentleys wouldn't feel
slighted.  It was a way to have a common accronem that everyone could identify
with.

I suspect that there are even some newbees out there that think SOL stands for
Sons of Lucas when it was decided that it should be Scions of Lucas so as not to
be sexist.

More recently sworking was coined.  It started out from a posting of swearing
while you work, meaning the car was not comming appart/together as easily as you
had hoped.  So some people started talking about sworking on their car during
the weekend.

A recent phrase came into being about half a year ago on the Land Rover list.

"vaper lock"  On an off road run someone wanted to tackle a section that some
others were not exactly excited about.  SO the Gonzo group charged ahead while
the others radioed in that they were stopped by vaper lock.  and had a beer.
Since then meeting someone else and stopping for vaper lock, means stopping for
a brew.  And a vaper lock session is a chat cars & sample brews session.

Then there's shipfitters disease.....I could just about write a book about that
one.

Take care

TeriAnn Wakeman           FOR SALE:  1968 MGBGT. British racing green with
twakeman@apple.com                    black interior. overdrive. recently
                          US$ 2500    rebuilt engine & brakes. very minor
                                      surface rust at paint scratches