Re: LBC, BTW?

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: LBC, BTW?
From: David Simpson <davids@CyberGate.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 21:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

> > >Dave, (good name, BTW...)
> > >   BTW means By The Way...
> > >I still haven't figured out what an LBC is. I'm assuming it's something
> > >like...
> >
> > Hey, those are good names.
> >
> > LBC stands for Little British Car.  Of course, some people who own Jaguar
> > XJ's and such think it means Large British Car, but we tolerate the
> > oversight.
> >
> > Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits
> > A few more Daves on the list, and we'll reach critical mass.
> >

> Having been around on the British car list when the LBC accronem was being
> coined, it was decided that it would stand for little AND large so those of
>us
> with long wheelbase Land Rovers, MK VII Jags and Bentleys wouldn't feel
> slighted.  It was a way to have a common accronem that everyone could
>identify
> with.

     What does an MG/Healey/Tr etc. have in common with a Land Rover or a
Bentley? Or a coal lorry, for that matter? And why was no one concerned
that owners of Medium-size British Cars are being slighted? I know, let's
call them UTD's (Unspecified Transportation Devices)? That way, no one
would be slighted, and the whole world would have an acronym that
everyone could identify with!

(The preceding has NOT been a flame, just late-night grouchiness after a
non-stop Heathrow-Los Angeles flight. Apologies to any lbc, lac, sjc,
mac, or utd owners. I don't, however mind offending judc owners/drivers)

Dave "The Grouch" Simpson
I assume no responsibility for any acronyms other than my own.

davids@cybergate.com