Re: MGB brakes

To: rdonahue@holli.com
Subject: Re: MGB brakes
From: Dave Morris <dmorris@sol.cosmos.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 18:27:35 -0600 (MDT)

> I've been shopping for an MGB. I have test driven three different cars of
> various vintage. They were all a joy to drive except for one thing, the
> brake pedal effort was very high. Is this normal for an MGB?????

==> My '72 MGB requires a fairly high brake pedal effort.

> Now don't lecture me about not being power brakes.

==> As a rule, rubber bumper MGBs have power brakes, chrome bumper MGBs do not.

> I've never owned a car with power brakes including my TD.

==> Drum brakes require signifigantly lower pedal effort than disc brakes
    because they are "self activating" -- the leading shoe wedges the trailing
    shoe against the brake drum, thus reducing pedal effort.

> One thing the cars had in common: all the owners
> mentioned that their cars were rarely driven. Could this have something
> to do with the high pedal pressure? Or, maybe the wrong brake fluid? I just
> can't believe the MGB is so hard to stop!

==> Was the brake pedal firm or spongy?  It is possible that some of the
    hydraulic components deteriorated while the cars were stored.