Re: MGB Swivel hub bushing.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Swivel hub bushing.
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Nov 1995 09:47:33 -0600
In <m0tDINB-0000McC@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>, john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
wrote:

>We needed the old bushes installed. We press one old
>one out, press a new one in, ream the new one and then press the
>other old one out and repeat the process. The old one is used as a
>guide.

The stepped reamer is more or less self-aligning and is the correct
tool to be used in this case.  It can be used on both new bushings
at once.  Use of the old bushes for alignment (with the use of a
single reamer) is not really a suitable solution because the old
bushes are worn, and are most likely worn asymmetrically.  That is
why you are replacing them.  I agree that if the reaming was not done
with the proper tool, your job will be substandard.  I would question
seriously the ethics or smarts of a machinist who would use the old
bushings for alignment.                 A. B. Bonds