Re: MGB Swivel hub bushing.

To: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
Subject: Re: MGB Swivel hub bushing.
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 07:38:39 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995 john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com wrote:

> Ulix,
>      Just read your response on the above. Why will a re bushing not    t if
>the
> reaming is not done with the stepped reamer? I have just *1 hour        cked
>up
John,
now I'm no reaming expert :) , but what my mechanic told me makes sense.
He said some people would just ream the two bushings out independently,
essentially by trial and error, until the king pin fits in snugly. They
feel good when you pick them up, but the bushings are not necessarily
aligned.
Think about it, say the lower bushing is rotated a litte off the
centerline of the top one. then they had to ream it a littel too much to
get the king pin through. Even though there is no play in the affair
now, the king pin essentially has only point contact with the bushing,
since the bush is really twisted a little bit. This situation won't last
long and in a little while you will have major play in that bushing.
I don't think I made this too clear, but draw a sketch with the bushings
not aligned, and it should be obvious.
I don't know how your shops practise stands up in terms of alignment, you
might be allright, or you might be lucky, since your bushings might have
been perfectly aligned by pressing them in.

Hope this helped,
Ulix
P.S. did my windshield last night, your post on that was right in time! Thnx.
(Does your mail program allow more than 80 chars? It always semms to be
garbled at the right edge?)
                      sprite                 caddy