Re: Fuel Pump Failure (again!)

To: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Failure (again!)
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 12:37:46 -0500 (EST)

> days.  It is a HUGE mistake to rebuild a pump without a
> suppression diode.  Point erosion is the primary cause of SU failure,
> and the diode extends the life by a large factor.

  YES!  I agree wholeheartedly with that.

> >  4) You'll save oodles of money in the long run, especially once you know
> >     that the points and valves are the only things to really ever go, and
> >     combined they'll only cost you about $10.
> >
> Beg to differ, but there is this thing called a diaphragm that turns
> into concrete after a few years.  They run about $35-40.

  Where have you been getting your diaphragms?  VB sells them for about $18,
TRF for about $15.  The entire repair kit, with new everything is only about
$40.  I've seen a diaphragm that went bad, but as you rightfully say, YMMV.

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit