testing my mettle, or: irksome rant

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: testing my mettle, or: irksome rant
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 08:45:09 -0400
Fellow fiends:

I call upon the wisdom of the net:  I had a bad day and I'm a weak man and
I'm being tested.  May I rant for a screen or so?

Two things:

thing the first:  last night a member of my car-guy support group stopped by
to show me his new/used 1993 RX-7 (a car we can all agree is a classic in
the making).  Black with a red leather interior.  Drop dead good looking
car, and cosmetically in great condition.  Awe-inspiring performance for the
price of a new Miata.  I want you to know that it soured my evening, even
tho my beloved and I were watching an inspiring Disney movie about sled
dogs.  Later that night I pulled Olde Whitesides into the driveway and
started to think what a frumpy car it was (the MG, that is).  There, I said
it.  Of course I don't really want a three year old RX-7, with the
associated costs, but it is a great car.  On a worrisome note, this
particular car has lost its 5th gear synchro after only 28k miles (???).
Figure that one out.  I drove it "around the block" and was surprised at the
mushyness of the shifter.  That made me feel a bit better.

thing the second:  the commute has been **horrendous** lately, and I almost
got into an accident yesterday in the B (cars behind me plowed into each
other and it chain-reacted up to about a quarter of an inch short of my rear
bumper).  I saw it all in my rear view mirror, in a state of helpless
pannic.  Traffic is severely stop-n-go on my urban interstate commute and I
don't even get to use OD.  Surface streets are washboards here in
Deeeetroit.  Has the world spun off its axis?

Seriously: What does a car guy do when its no fun to drive !!??

Will "Zen and the..." Zehring