Re: testing my mettle, or: irksome rant

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: testing my mettle, or: irksome rant
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 07:19:59 -0600
At 08:45 AM 5/30/96 -0400, you (Will "Zen-man" Zehring) wrote:
>I call upon the wisdom of the net:  I had a bad day and I'm a weak man and
>I'm being tested.  May I rant for a screen or so?

        We all are tested at some point or other.  Rant on, brother........

>thing the first:  last night a member of my car-guy support group stopped by
>to show me his new/used 1993 RX-7 (a car we can all agree is a classic in
>the making).  Black with a red leather interior.  Drop dead good looking
>car, and cosmetically in great condition.  Awe-inspiring performance for the
>price of a new Miata.

                But it is STILL a RICE Burner...  Keep in touch with your
friend.  Can he maintain the RX-7?  Can he repair it??  (Can he AFFORD to??)
Does he know every little sound and shake??

> I want you to know that it soured my evening, even
>tho my beloved and I were watching an inspiring Disney movie about sled
>dogs.  Later that night I pulled Olde Whitesides into the driveway and
>started to think what a frumpy car it was (the MG, that is).  There, I said
>it.  Of course I don't really want a three year old RX-7, with the
>associated costs, but it is a great car.

                HELLO!!, McFly !!  Did you hear what you just said???  You
need to take this car out for a LONG weekend somewhere special.  Drive
through a college campus and watch the little co-eds stare at you (Olde
Whitesides) with longing, lustful gazes.  Stop somewhere REALLY public and
crowded and have a drink while leaning against Olde Whitesides.  Watch
people look at your car (and, oh yeah, you).  Then jump in and take off
again.  Find a winding road and put her to the test.  Afterward, ease off
and enjoy a GOOD STOGIE.  All this should take you NO LESS than 3 hours.
Fall in love with your car again.

>thing the second:  the commute has been **horrendous** lately, and I almost
>got into an accident yesterday in the B (cars behind me plowed into each
>other and it chain-reacted up to about a quarter of an inch short of my rear
>bumper).  I saw it all in my rear view mirror, in a state of helpless
>pannic.

                Be thankful you (and Olde Whitesides) remained unscathed.

>Traffic is severely stop-n-go on my urban interstate commute and I
>don't even get to use OD.  Surface streets are washboards here in
>Deeeetroit.

                So what???  The TIGERS just won their 13th Game of the
Season.  That ought to put things back in perspective.

>Has the world spun off its axis?

                NO!  It's just that, to quote Tom Cruise from TOP GUN,
"you've lost that Lovin' feelin, whoa that lovin' feelin....."

>Seriously: What does a car guy do when its no fun to drive !!??

                GET BACK IN THE SADDLE!!!  AND DRIVE UNTIL YOU RE-DISCOVER
the FUN.   Recall that post about a month ago about the feelings associated
with top-down driving.

TTFN !
Tim Moses, Esq.                                  http://www.csra.net/moses
   U.S. Naval Academy `86                http://www.csra.net/moses/86.htm
Live from Augusta, Georgia      -      We're a Hole in One !