Re: Crank Shaft Reformed, fresh engine still sick?

To: BarneyMG@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank Shaft Reformed, fresh engine still sick?
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 21:35:39 -0400
Barney,

If the relief valve looks OK, I would suspect that you have simply got too
much oil up in the upper engine and not in the pan at high RPM. Assuming that
your oil return passages are open and clean, some surgery might be in order
to increase the oil pan capacity. You could cut and weld in an extension onto
the bottom of the oil pan to add a couple of quarts capacity. You would also
have to exrend the pickup tube and screen assembly.

There's about 58 cubic inches in a quart. I don't know what the length and
width dimension of your sump is, but I would guess that you'd get about a
quart for each inch of depth you add. You wouldn't have to do anything to the
dip stick. I'd increase the pickup height to about 1/4" from the pan bottom
to make sure you're not starving the pump.

By the way, are you turning 7,000 RPM with no modifications to the bottom end
of the engine? If so, have you done this very often? Any problem with "valve
float"? Any signs of piston dents on the underside of the bonnet?

R. Johnson - Dallas