RE: Crank Shaft Reformed, fresh engine still sick?

To: <BarneyMG@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Crank Shaft Reformed, fresh engine still sick?
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:56:33 -0400
>>I am interested in the baffle setup, sounds like a good
>>idea for racing on sticky tires.  Does anyone out there
>>know how to do this for an MGA?

Dick Burger can get you one from Brown & Gammons for
?23.00 (about $40) ... STN1031 Competion sump baffle.

If my memory serves me ... a detailed drawing of the baffle
can be found in the 'B' Competition Tuning Booklet, but I
don't think that I could fabricate it myself for $40 ... however,
your skills may vary <g>.  The Competition Tuning Booklet
also outlines modifications to the oil pump to increase flow
at high rpms but I can't recall if this was for the early pump
(3 main bearing) or the later pump (5 main bearing) ... will
try and check this eve.

B&G may also have the 1500 flat top pistons ... FYI, the
>following is from "Tuning BMC Sports Cars" by Mike Garton
>- published '70 ... YMMV.

>"In May, 1959, the normal production MGA was given
>increased capacity with a 1588cc version of the 1489cc
>unit.  Virtually it was bored out and little else.  It is
>possible to overbore the early model to 2.97 in. and fit
>the 1600 pistons 12H 178, at least gaining some
>addtional torque."

>People occasionally suggest stronger valve springs, but
>there's no way I want a stock bottom end doing 9000 rpm!

... seems logical to me that you would want to uprate your
valve springs to eliminate bounce within what you feel is
your "working" rpm ... just because it will do 9000 rpm
without bounce doesn't mean that you have to go there <g>.

larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'62 MGA 1600 MkII Roadser